Wednesday 11 July 2012

Raptors!!

We really have a great variety of birds here on our little patch. Early this afternoon the chooks were kicking up a hell of a din.Thinking it may be a fox on this grey dull day, I went out to check on them. All I saw was a small sparrow hawk and as the rooster is more than twice its size I couldn't see what all the panic was about.Late afternoon, though, when I went to give them their evening feed, I came upon a little pile of very colourful feathers near the wood heap and so the little hawk obviously got a musk lorekeet and scoffed the lot. The black ducks are still happily using the pond and sleeping on one leg with their bills under their wing or busily grooming themselves, what a life!!!!
We had another 6 ml of rain last night and the place is now waterlogged, some creature had tried to dig up the scraps I bury as compost on a new piece of ground but obviously couldn't deal with the heavy, sticky clay soil and left it alone.
The above photo is a nest of Willy Wagtail chicks in our walnut tree last year.!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Hazel, I do enjoy reading your blog, such a descriptive commentary on life in our antipodean Arcadia!

    Best wishes, Helen

    ReplyDelete