Monday 25 June 2012

Weekend without Power

I had wondered what it would be like to be without electricity a few weeks ago and got my wish this weekend just gone! The power failure started Friday morning when I was getting the house ready for the next day when I had planned to give my young sister a birthday lunch. By late afternoon we found out nothing could be done to repair the break in the underground cable till the following Monday!!Luckily our electrician with typical Australian inventiveness, at least gave us the ability to have lights and hot water, but Oh! how we missed not being able to boil a kettle or look at TV(heaven forbid we have grown so accustomed to it).Fortunately we cook on gas but half way through cooking lunch I ran out of gas as well!! Brian saved the day by switching over the gas bottle we ordered only a week ago. So lunch of pumpkin soup followed by roast duck breast with fig sauce and balsamic roasted vegetables accompanied by Hugo 2001 reserve shiraz  was much appreciated. We had proper coffee and a piece of beautifully created birthday cake in the Studio as I was able to use the coffee maker there , the power still available in the Studio.
So, yesterday was Monday and bless the electrician and his son, they were here before 9am and got straight into digging where they thought the break might be. I went to my cello lesson and left the car at the kerb and walked into my teacher's place, past the huge new weatherboard house some one is busy building there.They had cut down some trees to fit it all in the small block. I am so pleased we live on five acres!! Vivaldi is slowly coming along..... When I got back here the electrician showed me where they had repaired the break, filled in the big hole, came and had a cup of coffee while he wrote out the cert. of compliance. What joy to have power back on in the house, all deepfreezers cleaned out and operational again too, plus the comfort of electric blankets and a bed side light to read by, how spoiled we are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment