Saturday 13 April 2013

Willunga Artisan Market

 This morning at 7.30am, I parked my van outside the old Willunga Agricultural Hall, near enough to easily cart my gear in when the hall opened. Willunga is a busy place on a Saturday as opposite the Hall is the Farmers' Market and around the corner is the Quarry Market. So it pays to be there early to get a parking spot close by. Trish was already there setting up her glass bead stall outside and some one ran to get the key to open the hall.
Once in, it is a matter of getting some trestle set up and thank heavens since I have been away(for twelve months) the committee have bought easy and more manageable tables to put up. It takes quite a bit of effort to go back and forth to get your gear organized and looking presentable....it is not my strong point.....
Then it is a matter of waiting for people to come and look and hopefully buy...hope springs eternal!!
 You can see some of my more exotic art pieces on the right.Every one loves my scroll and the wall hanging "Love in the Myth" was curiously, read by more men than women and they came away smiling.
One woman asked if I would be prepared to exhibit the piece in the heavy frame called "Crusades" in her next church exhibition, she noticed the recycled jewelry and beads form a cross.
By twelve I was thinking, what else could I produce that people might buy, getting a bit
tired of hearing how lovely everything was and how clever I am etc etc and "was it all my own work?"....tch, tch, tch  where did I get the time?
(All that time we save during daylight saving comes in handy in the winter!!!!)
It is lovely though, to have friends pop by or see people who recognize you from twelve months ago...
By 12.30 pm my neighbour and I were thinking packing up would not be long, when two women were admiring a sleeveless split top.  One decided to try it on. It looked great but, oh deary me , did she need another top? She was moving house and it would be another thing to pack...No, she would come back next month, would I be there next month? Yes, I would, and they walked off to admire Doug Bells beautiful wood turnings. He has done an exquisite piece with a rim of eggshell shards incorporated around the rim, it is one of his gallery quality pieces. The woman then turned around and came back saying she would have that top after all, but she also really liked the red origami garment (this is shown at the top of the page). Her friend was very encouraging pointing out that these were unique garments and may not be there for her next month....so I offered the two at a pretty good price and she was tickled about that and took them. Hooray! hooray! she made my day!!! and I came home pleased as punch......
Of course it gets my creative juices going which is great as long as I still have access to all that daylight saving we did last summer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment