Thursday 4 April 2013

More Paper Wasps

 My friend send me another photo of her ever growing Australian Paper Wasps nest.... the photo below shows the one she sent some weeks ago and the photo on the left shows that , seemingly, all the eggs have hatched and there are now a positive clutch and clutter of wasps. The caterpillar population must have suffered a terrible setback, but are we sad about that? We all love butterflies of course but who loves the caterpillar that munches its way voraciously through all our much loved vegie patch?
Nature is just so amazing in the way 'dumb insects' construct these perfectly shaped apartments for their off spring! Who instructs these creatures?

On the left is a most beautiful moth I found under the Holm Oak yesterday. I have not been able to find a classification for it but it is most likely a wood moth of some sort. The markings on it are stunning and unfortunately it was dying.
We haven't had the moth with the eyes on the wings this year, I used to get a lot of them when I lived in my cottage near Watervale.

No comments:

Post a Comment