Thursday 4 April 2013

Quince Chips

The quinces this year are slow to ripen and the birds are attacking them for the first time. Mainly the ones at the top of the tree so there are still plenty for us. Yesterday I picked a bucket full which I then proceed to scrub with a plastic scourer to get the fur off. I then halve them , take out the center and any bits that look suspect and cut them up into 8ths. Before that though, I dissolve 3kg of sugar in a large stockpot which has 3 cups of water and 3 tbspn  apple cider vinegar. So cut up the quinces till there are 3 kg of chips and put them into the the liquid in the large stockpot.
Bring to a slow boil and simmer them for at least an hour and a half stirring occasionally.
Then let them sit overnight.
The following morning again bring them to the boil and boil for another hour till they are that wonderful rich, red colour.
Let them cool and take the chips out on a slotted spoon, drain and then put them on the trays of a dehydrator and dry them  for about 10 to 12 hours.
Again leave them to cool and then roll the chips in caster sugar and store in glass jars.
They actually keep for over twelve months if you and your dinner guests can stop eating them.
Well, the transfer of photos leave a lot to be desired!!! I have tried and tried to get the chips in their sequence of preparation but as you can see, the finished product is before the chips in their cooked state, before the drying stage.....
never mind, I'm sure you will all see the logical sequence of the operation.!! I also cook quinces in the left over syrup and then deep freeze them in containers which will keep me in quince fruit for my breakfast for the next twelve months!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Tineke, quinces are my favourite autumn fruit! The colours of quinces are gorgeous, aren't they - raw & cooked? Almost good enough without even eating them!
    I cooked quinces this year in heavy syrup, bottled the fruit & bottled the syrup separately to use as jelly. But the jelly is so stiff, it's like a soft toffee! Can't even spread it on toast! So I think I may try to reheat the jars, add some water, & see if I can loosen it up a bit. The quinces are very sweet, too. So I found another recipe where you bake the quinces for 3 hours, then simmer them in a syrup for 10 minutes - that is better for a dessert fruit, & not so sweet. So much fun, so much to learn...cheerio

    ReplyDelete