Friday 18 September 2015

Shoulder Bag & view from a Window


 Perhaps some of you may be interested as to how I mix the colours of the yarns for this bag that I have been making. As you can see on the photo, there are several cones of yarn in various shades and one lot becomes the main colour and the other the fairisle contrast colour.
It is an interesting process deciding which tones and shades to use together.
It is all a case of personal taste of course but in the main I prefer to not have one colour dominating in a mix like this.
 To make the gusset for the bag, you sew across the corner of the bottom of the bag which will then give a flat bottom for the bag after you cut off the surplus material and turn it back to the right side.
You do the same with the lining of course and it will fit in nicely together and add strength to the bottom of the bag. I decided not to insert the Xray template to give it some body as it crackled horribly so next time I may use some pellon instead.
 I made a cord for it so I can have it over my shoulder or ,as I have found, it is quite good to use it as a clutch bag. Inside are all the pockets for mobile phone, glasses case, diary, pen,
lip gloss and car keys plus of course in my case room for a visual diary in which to Zendoodle away in Doctors or hospital waiting rooms....
The cord isn't actually very comfortable so may try a thicker one or even a knitted cord which will be softer.
 The fairisle pattern is a design which is actually in my Brother 970 electronic knitting machine
and I like the abstract look of it. There are lots of other patterns to choose from and you can make up your own as well and insert it into the console.
The yarns are mainly cotton with a little man made fibre as well , but very little....

The tree on the left is the Japanese rain tree I was told but it comes from China originally and is commonly called Golden Rain tree or its latin name is Koelreuteria paniculata. It has developed this amazing lichen on its branches and I have been using some of the little branch sticks for my book binding of the artist booklets I have been making. They are attractive little sticks and seem to hold the lichen quite well even after 12 months.
The photo below is a view of the garden from the Studio window. We have a South Australian garden, which is green in winter and yellow in summer...
 The black ducks were wandering around here this morning, I worry that they may be wayward parents as they must have a nest somewhere judging by the number of ducklings they have been making, but they seem to spend the day here lazing around the pond......




1 comment:

  1. Your bag is wonderful. I especially love your idea of mixing the threads together. That has always been fun for me and it makes our items uniquely ours, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete