Tuesday 1 April 2014

Of Pelicans and Jetties

The jetty at Marion bay is quite a long one and very good to walk on early in the morning. Not many fishermen on the jetty then so I assume the fishing isn't worth bothering with at that time. Usually there are plenty of squid to be seen caught by people and I found it astounding that when I asked at the Tavern if the Salt and Pepper squid was local, they told me it wasn't. I have had enough poor Salt and Pepper squid dishes in various supposedly good restaurants and pubs, that it has put me right off , so unless it is fresh local squid I won't order it.
On this early morning walk I saw this enormous Pelican, and they are a big bird, land on the light fitting near the Community center. It seemed impossible for such an ungainly bird to settle on this tiny light fitting. So I took quite a few photos while it sat there imperiously surveying its territory. There didn't seem to be any other Pelicans about. I did see a group of teal duck in the sea just over the edge of the path in the background.

We went back to the Innes Park and walked some different paths. The Althorpe Island  display board is quite informative and I find them interesting and it directs my thoughts on the people who were shipwrecked on this rough and beautiful coast .Quite a few people were drowned of course as the seas are not just rough but the currents are strong too.
Remember to click on the photos to get a closer look and you will be able to read what it tells you.

I took this photo of Brian busily photographing the coast from the Light house. The path leading up to the Light house has glittering mica chips in it but it is difficult to get that in a photo.
We just delighted in taking as many photos as we wanted because we come from an era of film photographs where you had to send the film away and wait for a week or more to get them developed and back only to discover they were very poor, out of focus or blurred. Not so with our digital cameras from which you can download onto the laptop
which I had with me and then delete the ones that are not up to standard. Brian is still in the economic mode and doesn't take quite as many photos as I do. Must admit I get a bit carried away and find all sorts of things interesting and worth photographing as a reminder later of where we have been. The Park people have done a lot of creative ways of getting the public to stay mostly on the boardwalks or steps to prevent erosion. These steps on the left go down to the wreck of the "Ethel".
Our last port of call, so to speak, was Pondalowie Bay which has little islands and headlands.
Below the edge of the cliff is a safe harbour and people live there and fish as well. It also has reefs and surfing beach. It has a West Cape Lighthouse there as well. Yesterday we got as far as Browns Beach which is renowned for its salmon fishing but it was fairly flat when we stood looking at it from above. There was no one there but a man came out of the campsite to see if fish had arrived. He had to wait a bit longer....

No comments:

Post a Comment