Sunday 6 April 2014

Dead Things

 We seem to have a plethora of dead things lying about at the moment.
I found  a lot of white feathers in the front paddock when we got back from
Marion Bay. The corellas had been in droves around here while we were away and they stripped a lot of gum leaves and twigs so the track in, was littered with all the damage they cause. I don't know if a fox managed to sneak up on one as I also found a fox scat on the track. Though it was not a big one and of course they are always full of grape seeds at this time of the year.
While we were having our Sunday sherry on the front verandah today we found this dead crested pigeon under one of the chairs. It had killed itself by flying into the window as they often do, leaving an imprint of their feathers on the glass.
The dead fish was one I had transferred from the pond to a large outside bowl ready to give to a friend who is restocking her pond. I had transferred one before and wondered when I went to catch it to give to my friend , where it had disappeared to. The two little fish that are already there seem to stay. So this one I found the next day right next to the bowl and it had obviously thought out of the bowl was better than in.... little did it know because of course the ants made a feast of it and I found the skeleton today.
The little dead mice were caught  in the kitchen traps, they look cute of course until you are inundated with them and they gnaw on anything
remotely like food. Plus they leave their little black calling cards on the benches and stove tops in my kitchen.
Sometimes the mice have been so small they are still inside the trap and you have to drown them which I will confess I hate doing as I have to cover them with a flower pot to keep them under and a stone on top of the pot as well.
Brian has been very busy getting all the winter wood into the little shed. I thought he did a  very artistic job, worthy of some photos.
Today was also the anniversary of my son Greg's death in an accident on his motorbike. It was Easter Sunday the 6th April thirty four years ago.
So it was interesting that today, the 6th also fell on Sunday..... and where has the time gone? so much water under the bridge.......

No comments:

Post a Comment