Friday 28 September 2012

Spot the Bronzewing!

Here we are, took the picture with my little Nikon coolpix L1 yesterday afternoon from the kitchen window. Unfortunately the second bronzewing is just hidden by the branch of the fig tree. At this stage I can only publish small pictures so you won't get much detail of the birds, but I am quite chuffed I managed to get a shot at them at all!!
It has been a vile day weather wise today with huge winds and lashing rain. My friend in Clare rang today to see how we were and said that it was an equally awful day there with no rain which all the farmers need on their crops now to give them that extra moisture to fill out the grain. We were discussing too, about the lack of purple Salvation Jane flowering against the brilliant yellow of the canola crops. The bee people will be sad about the fact there is so little Salvation Jane for the bees to feed on but it was a curse and caused quite a few deaths in horses because of the heavy metals collecting in their livers from the Jane.
I was blown away by a video on Friesian horses on youtube  a friend forwarded to me. The grace and beauty of these animals is astounding and while I have been a devotee of the Arabian horse since a teenager, I think the Friesian horse has replaced it. I want one for my birthday!!!!!! Mind you, I would now need a stepladder to get into the saddle, where has all the strength and elasticity in my legs gone?? Still, Henry VIIIth was hoisted into the saddle with a winch so I could resort to that.....
I don't seem to have a foto of myself on horse back so one of my son in the Mounted Police from years ago will do....

2 comments:

  1. Nice entry and I am sorry you do not have photos of you on one of your many horses. Considering how much riding I too did, I think I only have two photos of me on my Arabian mare Zad.

    Here too, lousy weather. Quite back to winter, but the Zebra finches have now multiplied to about 12 and I found 2 small frogs in Daisy's water bowl. Still swimming, but nearly frozen stiff at 3 deg. still I guess spring will come soon enough.

    Keep up your blogging and your journalling also.

    hugs,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda, so pleased you had an Arab mare. Was she purebred? Mine was only half Arab half Australian stock horse called Twilight as she was gunmetal grey with dark mane and tail....cheers, Tineke

      Delete