Monday 4 February 2013

Oh! the Vagaries of the English language!

In the new Adelaide Review for February is an article about the renowned Catalan viola da gamba player Jordi Savall. My cello teacher also is a viola da gamba player and this morning I had my cello lesson with her which is always a delight for me. We have been discussing how to improve my playing and develop a more emotional content in the music. It mostly comes down to better bowing.
So imagine my delight when in this article Jordi Savall mentions the fact he has followed a book called: The Sacred Art of Bowing:Preparing to practice by Andi Young. Right, I thought , this will be the book for me! The Onkaparinga libraries didn't have it, so I looked it up on the web.
When I found it, the Bowing relates to the religious practice of "bowing" down before a Deity, in other words nothing to do with using the bow on the cello!! I did laugh to myself.....
The weather has been exceptionally kind this week.It almost has an autumn feel to it, yet it is much too early for that. The Golden Rain trees  are bearing the lovely Chinese lantern seed pods now and rattle prettily in the breeze. The Japanese bamboo has also changed colour as has part of the Morning Glory vine. I have been putting out the compost our gardener brought with him last Thursday and it does seem to improve the look of the plants. The Penstemon in particular has us intrigued as the cuttings from the same bush have resulted in different coloured flowers on the same new cutting! Red and pale mauve on one and pink on another.

I also shot some new photos of the Bronze wing Pigeon near the pond. I find his monotone call quite soothing but Brian can't stand it and neither can my neighbour, they both wish it would go else where.
Our nectarine tree has finished now and lovely and fragrant they were too. Now we can start on the Greengage plum and the D"Argant or prune plum. Brian's cucumbers are slowly coming good but the tomatoes are a dead loss as are my Queensland Blue pumpkins.I don't know why they will not grow for me anymore, the zuchinis too , we used to have them by the bucket load , now I am lucky if we have enough for a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment