Wednesday 27 February 2013

Black Dog

I was interested in where the expression "Black Dog" came from because my late husband on the rare occasion he was feeling dark and fretful, would say he had the black dog on his shoulder. It apparently refers to an English myth where the hounds of hell would haze people. I wondered whether I was accommodating a black dog myself last week. My sense of fun and my sense of humour seemed to have left me. So I thought, to entice them back I would offer them freshly baked scones, strawberry jam and cream.... no way.. THEY wanted my black olives, matured cheddar cheese and Hugo's shiraz !! 7 am in the morning?? well , why not?
It is interesting how locked in some of us are to patterns that in the end seem irrelevant. It seems to take some of us a lifetime to shake these off. So let us celebrate life by looking at everyday life with fresh eyes and question everything we were brought up with, discarding all that doesn't make sense or doesn't suit us any longer.
The light outside my window at present is a glorious sunsetting gold with that rare feeling of otherworldniness. I have taken some photos but am not sure it has captured it.
It has been another busy day with a dental appointment first, then our music playing of Teleman and Bach, then the Pilates program my physio has devised for me.It is meant to strengthen the inner core of the body and correct the posture of the spine and consequently feet as well. Older age has spiritual advantages but not physical ones I find.Having lived a childhood during a war where food was scarce has probably left a physical scar on the skeleton.
The share farmer has spread super today and this afternoon the grape harvesting machine was next door harvesting the shiraz grapes. The vines look raped and pillaged afterwards, so sad and droopy.

I know they will be fed and watered after wards but they never seem to recover that beautiful vigorous look of before. Is there a lesson for us here?
Tomorrow we intend to go to the Mt Lofty Botanical Park  and have a picnic there!! We will also call in on a friend who is restoring a lovely old 19th century gardeners cottage belonging to an old estate in Stirling

2 comments:

  1. Tineke, Wikipedia mentions the term "black dog" under the entry for "Major depressive disorder" and note: "English writer Samuel Johnson used the term 'the black dog' in the 1780s to describe his own depression, and it was subsequently popularized by depression sufferer former British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill." I knew about Churchill but not the Johnson reference. But this only notes the first use of the term, rather than the actual meaning behind it. More research required I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Perry, if you care to look at my new blog you will see I did a bit more research on the subject.Like you, I knew about Churchill,s black dog but not Johnson's.

      Delete