Monday 7 January 2013

Ordinary every day things


This morning while having my early morning cup of tea, I was looking at the wheelbarrow full of gumtree bark Brian has been collecting for our winter store to light the indoor fire when it is cold again. It looked so serene and dignified and the birds were as usual hopping on and off.Yesterday I took a photo of the Willy wagtail and it's offspring sitting on the rake handle sticking out of the same wheelbarrow. The Lemon scented gumtree in the background was given to us by my niece when we first moved in here 22 years ago. It is tall and straight and dwarfs the walnut tree to the left of it. The walnut tree is also 22 years old and has kept
us supplied with walnuts for years. This year I was too late to pick some for pickling, you have to pick them before the shell sets. I also did some research on "bread and butter " cucumber pickles today as I thought I had lost my recipe. None of the ones on the net were what I had used and I was very pleased to find it again after another look through my books. Brian has grown some lovely Lebanese cucumbers and we will never manage to eat them all so making the pickles will be a good way to enjoy them throughout the year.Would you like the recipe?
You can see on the photo our lawn is Australian Summer brown now, it will green up again when the autumn rains come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment