Wednesday 2 January 2013

Blackfaced Cuckoo Shrike


How I admire Wildlife photographers! When I went to feed my three chooks just now, there was a baby bird sitting on the ground, not far from the chookyard. So went back and got my camera, put on a long sleeved shirt so I could lie down on the ground for a steady aim. As I was taking shots a myriad of little black ants decided I was a corps and needed to be removed! Well they succeeded after a while but I did get a reasonable shot of the Black faced cuckoo shrike chick. Its parent was coming back but would not come down to feed it so I removed myself (with some ants still in attendance) behind the ash tree hoping I might get a shot of the parent feeding its chick. No way was that going to happen anytime soon.I did get a picture of the adult sitting in the gum tree.Reading about the cuckoo shrike, apparently it is not a cuckoo at all as it rears its own young after all and cuckoos are those sneaky birds that lay an egg in other bird's nests which then hatch and raise their stranger at the detriment of their own offspring.I remember this when I was living in Inman Valley. We had blue wrens and I found this fat, demanding chick in their nest and they were frantically trying to satisfy its voracious appetite.
The other thing I did today was take a photo of the white waterlilly. The goldfish were also in there but I will need to put a filter on my Nikon 860 to get a good picture of them in the water. We also have a pink waterlilly but it is not out at present.
A pond is quite a high maintenance project. I had intended to have some sort of filter system but my friend said all you needed was a pump to aerate the water.We do have that but the algae still builds up and I have to physically remove it and put it on the mulch where it dries out. It would be excellent for paper making as the fibres are very tough. It looses its green colour of course and is quite dull when dry. It is supposed to be 40C today so have watered the pots early and given the young Holm Oaks a good soak.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, paper making with pond weed you think? Why dont i pop in andpick some up & try it in the near future? My friend in Ballarat has used azolla - the pond plant you gave me from your pond - to make a beautiful paper. I've cooked my batch,& its ready to form a couple of sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since i read &commented on your blog this morning, Tineke, I've had a special bird treat. In the garden at the farm, while we were refilling the bird baths, my sister-in-law showed me a bassian thrush. What an exquisite little fellow he is. He let me get close enough to get a couple of reasonable photos. I feel so privileged to see such creatures. I love your blogs, Tineke, thank you! They inspire me to look around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Cher. You are most welcome to come and get some algy from the pond for paper making.you could have the dried stuff and perhaps cut it with scissors to make it more manageable in the cooked mush you need for paper making.I would love to see the photo of the bassian thrush, I am sure I have never seen one.It is also great to know my blog has inspired you to notice more around your own patch or where ever you may find yourself in a different area.

      Delete