Sunday 20 January 2013

A Philosophical Mood.

A friend lent me "The Tao of Pooh" book,  which is very appealing seeing as I used to read the Pooh books, by AA Milne, to my young sons ,years ago now. Pooh is known as a bear with little brain, but he leads a very happy and fulfilling life eating honey and visiting friends, mostly at morning tea time so that he may be asked by his friend, to stay and have a little something to eat. I have known a few Pooh bears myself in times gone by!. He is the steady influence on his rather nervous or pessimistic or overly bombastic friends and they heed his no nonsense approach in the main, for indeed if they don't they find themselves in dire straights.We have all known a few of those too in our lifetime who ignored our sound reasonings and could then  be compared to Icarus.
It is interesting to think about the stories we were told when we were young. We didn't necessarily understand then, the morals they very often contained. Think of the Tortoise and the Hare. We have all been envious at times of the Hare's smartness and speed while we as Tortoises plodded along and wondered what we were about. But now, as a mossy backed Tortoises we sit on our Taoist verandah, viewing our Zen garden while the Hare has run full bore into strife because they were so intent on living in the fast lane they didn't see the white ants undermining them.
At the moment as you know, I am rereading "The Life of Pi" and I found the philosophical ideas about religion expressed by young Pi worth a mention. He goes to his father and tells him he wants to be baptized and be given a prayer rug as well. His father is appalled and tells him he cannot follow two different religions. Why not says Pi, they both claim they are descended from Abraham and profess to love God...his father responds with the fact they are Indians and not interested in Gods of any kind, and unable to give Pi a reasonable answer, cops out and tells Pi to go and talk to his mother about it!!
I have learned to appreciate all religions symbols and images and while I was brought up in a very austere religious atmosphere I can understand the reasons why my parents clung to what they saw as the proper way.I respect my parents point of view, but now I wish I was able to talk with my father and discuss our different points of view, and let him know I appreciate his instructions when I was little but that now I have discarded a lot of what he saw as essential to our living a structured life.
I cannot seem to get these pictures inserted where I want them, never mind, this one is a beautiful leadlight window in St Peters Cathedral, Adelaide.

No comments:

Post a Comment