Monday 10 December 2012

Birds and their Nests

This morning I found what I think is a Peaceful Dove, drowned in the compost bath. I do have netting over the bath but a tiny area was not covered and it must have got into the water there and then couldn't get out again. We are not aware we had any Peaceful Doves on our place, though the bird map shows it is possible. I wonder if it may have been an aviary escapee?

The Blackbird chicks fledged yesterday, they grow so quickly as on Tuesday they had feathers but were all huddled together in the nest which sat in the middle of the standard Bonnica rose I was deadheading.Quite near the front door and this always does have us intrigued, Blackbirds have their nest where people walk past with great regularity and at our shoulder or lower height. I remember finding one nest in a low daisy bush.
Unfortunately I found one blackbird chick drowned in the pond, this afternoon.

The nest the Murray Magpie builds is perfection in mud, beautifully constructed in the round on a tree limb high off the ground in the Ashtree where the frog mouths had theirs not far away. Theirs is an untidy collection of sticks and you wonder how the eggs manage to stay there!The frogmouths have made the Peppertree their home it seems , as my friend took some photos of them with his fabulous lens.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tineke, so envious of all those stunning nests. As you know I collect them, only when discarded, and although my garden is alive with native birds, including many blackbirds, not a nest can I spy.
    The wind blew the door open on my dove house and 4 adults (all parents) flew away.
    I have been hand feeding 4 babies and believe me it is a full time job. Have managed to catch two, but they wont go back to their parental duties alas. The others have come back, but will not go into the house. Something has spooked them badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sashiko, I mainly photograph the nests unless they have been blown out of a tree by the fierce gully winds we sometimes have.The willy wagtail nest is beautifully constructed and very secure so they never blow down. One year we had a nest on my upturned mop which sat in the lobby open to the garden.Shows you how often I mopped!!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blog Tineke and the photos get better and better. Reminds me of my childhood when we were all so much more closely attuned to nature. I'm happy in my courtyard home, but really miss the daily pleasure of a garden.

    ReplyDelete