Friday 12 October 2012

Steamed Quandongs

Qudandongs are quite easy to de-stone and cut into quarters.After I found some the other day, I did just that and then steamed them with the broadbeans from the garden.They are actually quite delicious and tangy done this way, plus they retain their brilliant red colour. So I have done some more early this morning and I will put them into a pasta salad for tomorrow when friends are coming to lunch.
This afternoon my friend came and played Vivaldi and De Fesch on the piano while I played them on my cello. We are still practicing to get it in time together, but it is coming.
We had our craftgroup meeting at one of our member'splace yesterday. She always does fabulous lunches and we always appreciate her fare with great gusto!! We also work at whatever project we have set ourselves as individuals with great concentration while we mull over the state of the world and the different attitudes we are confronted with these days. The lack of service as we used to know it, the technical button pressing era we are in and dealing with the de-humanised answering machines when wanting to enquire about the most simple things.
To the right of you is a picture of one of our members deep into her craft with the canine member wishing we would all go home so she can have her mistress all to herself again!!
Her little canine friend ,not shown as she was parading the latest doggie fashion on the floor below, a very fetching fairisle knitted coat with matching leg ties, was not altogether welcome either.....luckily, not a cat in sight !
It is interesting to note that handspinning is back in vogue, I started handspinning Merino wool back in 1968 when the Ashford spinning wheel  was first imported from NZ.
Today at about 5 pm I was watching a bronze wing pigeon coming into the pond for a drink when I saw another one rapidly approaching the pond as well. Suddenly the first one chased the later one off and I saw there were two others as well. So now we seem to have two pair of bronzewings in our little patch. There were also two small birds , honey eaters of some sort, busy in the flowering Wisteria tree when we were enjoying our evening drink on the patio but neither of us could see what they actually were.Too small for the little wattlebirds and too dark for the Greenies.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tineke, love your new look!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see you all in Janet's sun room, and I can just imagine myself there with you all.
    Cannot see Meredyth, or is she the one taking the photos? What are all the others working on? And how I wish I could paint those stunning Quondongs

    RXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Meredyth was taking the photo, but she is sitting on the couch with Janet's dog in the other photo.I didn't know but there are two types of quandong and they both grow in the Aldinga scrub according to Brian.One is a bitter taste but the one we have is OK to eat.

      Delete