Tuesday 9 October 2012

Quandongs galore!!

Today was an exquisite day weather wise. We had intended to go to lunch in the new restaurant just up the road called "Au Pear". When we came back from shopping in McLarenVale we saw it was closed, so we will try it out next week. It did mean I had a day to do the last of the clearing of dead fall branches and the accompanying bark litter as next Saturday our permit to burn expires. There is something very satisfying about cleaning up and seeing the way clear to do the mowing so we can walk through the garden again without tripping on branches and the Lhemanii conkers which roll under foot. The conkers are great for burning in the wood stove as they retain their heat. One hit me on the side of the head just missing my eye as I pulled a dead branch down off the tree for burning, it left quite a mark!!Now all I have to do is the East and North side of the house.I also found Quandongs all over the ground and they are the prettiest red colour. I find them pretty tasteless but they look great in a little blue bowl. The tree itself was a seedling Mayo Thomson gave us years ago and it took a long time to establish itself. Now it is sending suckers everywhere would you believe. I'll cut some up and but them in a salad for colour if not taste.I seem unable to insert the photo here, it insists on sitting at the top.
Wednesday 10th October.
I had hoped to clean up more ground today but it is back to winter with a freezing southerly gale and rain as well. My music friends came this morning and we are continuing with the Haydn trio, at a snails pace,I must say, but it will come together soon I'm sure. My violin playing friend arrived with her right foot in a moon boot as she had broken a little bone before last Wednesday as well as cracking her ribs in a fall onto a table as she tripped over a footstool.Being of the old school, she thought if she ignored the pain it would go away but ion the end succumbed to everyone's advice and went and saw her doctor. He was not amused that she should have left it for so long.

I also took a photo of the jacket I have made for a friend in my knit-weave style with an interesting finish to the band and collar. I'll see if it will insert itself here....
Hooray!! it did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment