Sunday 18 November 2018

Feathered Offsprings Fully Fledged

It is truly amazing how quickly the Willy Wagtail chicks grew. I think they were hatched in about ten days and then it was a very busy time for the parent birds to feed four perpetually hungry offsprings...both parents flew in and out all day and every day and I must say we didn't have a mosquito annoying us at all while having our evening drink on the patio.
The chicks started to fill out the nest very quickly and it wasn't long before they were sitting on the vine branches to get more room for exercising their wing muscles....
In the photo on the right they are sitting away from the nest after only a week....they still sit and squeak all day ravenous for food.
Two days after this photo they had flown to the front of the house and were sitting in the Holm oak tree where they are still roosting at night. They have flown down to the fishbowl now and the parents are still giving them food.It will be interesting to see when they have to start foraging for themselves......it is a hot North wind today so all the birdbaths are well patronized
The photo on the left shows a young Blue tongue lizard which I found in our laundry. It was trying to hide itself so I was able to pick it up as it was in a corner and couldn't get away.
It would have crawled under the fly screen door which has a gap down below and doesn't fit flush with the doorstep. They are surprisingly strong and it took me quite a bit of gentle pressure to hold him, it was not amused...I let it go by the Studio wall as its mother lives there and I can hear her scuttling away if I come upon her unexpectedly.
We also had a Koala again that same day but I was not able to photograph him, I think it was a male as he was rather grumpy and growled a lot.
The other thing I am pleased about is that the Hippeastrum bulbs which have been sitting in this pot for about three or more years, have finally starting to show flowers which are spectacular.....I had thought of giving up on them but apparently they like to be crowded in a pot before they will flower and it took them all that time to feel comfortably crowded  ...
So patience does pay, bless my mother for always telling me that when I was young...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful garden you have Tineke.
    It is also truly amazing how quickly Willy Wagtails can turn direction in flight. They are one of the most cheeky of all birds and will dart at any other birds as it suits their mood.

    ReplyDelete