Friday 3 August 2018

Strange Fungi and a New Industry at Willunga.....

 We have had the most amazing fungi come up in different parts of the garden over the past few weeks. Sadly I have no ideas of their names.
The one on the left is only one of many clumps which have pushed their way up through the gravel drive which is pretty compacted.I am astounded at the energy this must take to get through the hard crust. I don't think they are edible and I certainly would not attempt to cook and eat them. I remember some friends years ago who found some mushrooms when we lived at Hughes Park and took them home against our advice ,cooked and ate them and nearly died.

The fungi on the right I have never seen before.
It looks like a cauliflower and has popped up under some gum trees and native shrubs. I have never seen these before and wonder where they suddenly came from. There are about three of them at some distance from each other.
The gum leaves next to it gives some idea of its size.
We have not had any of the usual edible mushrooms this year and it makes you wonder if it has something to do with the dry season we have had, till today that is....we have had over an inch and a half since last night....oh blessed rain....if anyone can name these I would welcome comments....
My waggish friend looked over our neighbours paddock north of us yesterday and seeing the new posts, said " I see your neighbour is starting a new industry". Bemused I said "What do you mean a new industry". "Well" he replied, "I see he has started a Didgeridoo plantation".....
I can't wait for spring to see them showing their colours......

1 comment:

  1. I can remember cooking up some mushrooms I found in our front garden. Only did it once. Cleaned the sluices exceptionally well. Tell Dad the French take their wild-collected mushrooms to the local pharmacist for identification.

    ReplyDelete