Tuesday 2 September 2014

Heteropoda in Spring and the Tawny Frogmouth on his nest

 This morning I went out to measure the wonderful rain we had during the night and Lo! and Behold, there was heteropoda, sitting in the rainguage and politely got out of the way for me while I took out the tube with rain to see how much we had.
He sat outside on the rainguage looking decidedly relaxed and well fed, unlike the first picture which I took at the beginning of winter, where he looks all scrunched up with the cold and the wet.
I had been tipping him out onto the ground and weeds but he persisted and climbed back each time. I had worried that he would starve in there, not seeing what on earth he would be living on in such a barren space.
 however he obviously managed to find enough to eat and he is looking fit and well.
The Tawny Frogmouth has started to sit on his nest since last Thursday. It is the same nest as they used last year and the Ashtree is starting to sprout so he will soon have cover .
The greenies too are nesting and the Murray Magpies are gathering mud out of the pond.
I could hear a baby Magpie squawking and we did find a dead baby Magpie on the edge of the road the other day so Spring  has sprung......
PS. When I measured the 1ml of rain this morning September 3rd, no Heteropoda....has he left home or was he a meal for a bird? Oh , I do so hope he is off on an adventure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment