Friday 12 September 2014

Concertina Book

 My next artist book is a concertina form.
The cover is again a knitted fairisle done in a long strip . Having cut the core for it
and scored it so they would fold, the fabric was then sewn around the long strip with enough room for the signatures to be comfortably encased and folded into a booklet.
 Next I wrote the individual verses and sewed the
the antiqued fabric onto the knitted fairisle.

Because the verses were placed on both sides of the individual signatures, I had to find a way of closing it so the book would be read from the beginning ( where else would you start.....)
So I came up with the rolled front and attached a cord which then wraps around the whole
folded book and the cord slips around a nice wooden button I have had in my stash for years.
It was fun to make and though it presented a few
Technical problems it keeps you thinking and finding solutions.
My next book is on a theme of the Riverland
and while the signatures are ready, the cover is not as yet on the go.....

1 comment:

  1. Most excellent work, Tineke! Puts mine to shame! But it's enjoyable work, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete