Wednesday 29 January 2014

Cabin Fever in Summer Heat

We  had a lovely cool change in the weather last night. We have stayed put for the last week or so with the Tour Down Under, as well as the hot ,hot weather and we were getting cabin fever... There is only so much watering, reading books and using the computer you can do to pass the time each day when it is so hot outside and so this morning being cool and pleasant I suggested I pack a picnic and we go to Somewhere else, a different place.... I love going the back roads so after we took on fuel at McLarenVale we headed south via the roads
which go south of Willunga through the hills which give wonderful views of the distant sea at Aldinga. I still don't know where the Buddhist retreat is on the hills to your right as you go to Myponga.
In Myponga I take the road which leads to James' track and it takes you along a ridge which overlooks the hills to the sea at Normanville. There are some stunning vistas there but it was quite hazy today so we didn't stop to take photographs.The track over Mt Robinson is quite a challenge but that is why I chose a Subaru XV
so that the vehicle could deal with the rough dirt roads.There weren't a great deal of native plants flowering but the yackas were looking brilliant.
We got to Parsons beach and the look outs, where we parked and munched our sandwhiches. I had packed a bottle of bitter lemon for our drink but... we couldn't open the bottle and whats more my brilliant Subaru does not have a tool box  would you believe .....only a Philips screwdriver and a wheel brace, so we had a dry lunch.
The top photo is one of Waitpinga Beach where Sonny and I used to go fishing when we lived at Back Valley. He used to catch big salmon and I would attempt to catch Tommy roughs clearly visible in the waves. The waves were not big today and the sea seemed fractious with no real pattern to the waves at all. Brian in the photo above is looking out for mermaids......
The photo with the stone and plaque, is of Waitpinga beach as well, to my sorrow I didn't really look who the plaque was commemorating
The outlook on the northern side has this beautiful stone wall and the outline of the coast with all the headlands which were a bit hazy still.
I think this is Coolamon Beach but I am not sure if I have spelled it correctly. My son took me there just after I was widowed many many years ago and we were able to get to it in his fourwheel drive.
The stone wall runs along the path down to the beach, I love paths that meander and disappear from view.
Also on this look out were the native cotton bushes that survive in the harsh conditions of these coastal habitats.
We left and drove on to Victor Harbor where we stopped and had a very nice iced coffee in one of the many cafes Victor now has. The whole place has changed so much since I used to frequent it thirty years ago now, so many eating places and so many new holiday homes as well....
The forecast for the next week is in the forty degree area again, I hope the garden survives

3 comments:

  1. Hello Tineke! I have just caught up on all your blogs since December - hadn't been getting an email msg that you'd posted. But it was lovely to read them all in a bunch.
    I'm delighted that you save bones, too - I know visitors are a bit ikky about my bits scattered around the yard. I've got some roo leg bones bleaching out the back - they are magnificent! But the little birds are amazing, aren't they - such strength in such tiny structures. Your day trip to Waitpinga looked refreshing! Isn't that a glorious coastline?
    And your lunch at the Altar Bistro reminded me: they did the food for an opening at the gallery next door a few months ago - it was the best finger food I've had in years! And the presentation - very fine.
    I hope you enjoyed the rain last week. I can't believe that some of the deadest things have revived - it was such a good soaking, wasn't it? Really enjoying these cool nights again, too. Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you liked the Altar Bistro food, I think they deserve a lot more publicity as the food we have had there( we went to dinner there last Friday evening) is just superb and the setting impeccable with attentive service without being intrusive.
      I did LOVE the RAIN....thank you for your lovely comments

      Delete
  2. Because of the extreme heat, I've had shade cloth cloches & covers over all my [planted late] herbs & veg on the really hot days. The zucchini has just given my first fruit, the aubergines, capsicum, & tomatoes have flowers, & the basil is burgeoning! The figs are huge, but not as sweet as usual. perhaps I'll have a beautiful autumn harvest this year...

    ReplyDelete