Tuesday 1 October 2013

Tawny Chick Fledged Today

I came out to the studio early this morning and there were Dad Tawny and his youngster sitting on the Hills Hoist, not quite whizzing around in the wind but certainly moving a bit with these ferocious winds we are having at present. So, did it jump and glide or was it pushed  ,we will never know. It just shows that there is only one chick and not two, as I had so fondly imagined.
They were not perturbed by me taking the photos but the Murray Magpie, almost directly overhead in the gumtree , was not amused.
 Yesterday morning the black ducks were back, looking very attractive amongst the plants. I took the photo through the kitchen window and they were a bit perturbed by the flash that went off, so didn't stay for long. I have always hoped they would nest and breed here but so far they haven't done so.
 The White faced Heron has been stalking around as it has a young too and our goldfish seem to be on their menu. I am not fussed about that as there seem to be about forty of them now and of course they don't give the frogs a chance to breed up. I read an article which said this man had masses of tadpoles in his pool and he no longer used any chemicals as the tadpoles kept the pool clear, so it would be worth a try. I once had raised some tadpoles and when I thought they were big enough, let them go and watched in horror as the goldfish swallowed the lot!!
The Murray Magpie did stay on it's nest this morning and so got them in the frame but in my haste I didn't center them very well. Just remember to click on the photos to have a clearer picture and hit the escape button to go back to normal.
I am supposed to be cleaning up the house but could not resist letting everyone know the Tawny has fledged.......
This is early evening now and I just want to comment on the fact that the winds were so awkward and ferocious this afternoon that the adult bird had gone from the washing line and only the chick was left wobling on the edge of the spokes. I went out again an hour later and put a small upright log ready to put the chick on. I could not see it anywhere on the ground but at last saw it back up in the ashtree with one of the adults sitting against it...Whew, what a relief, I had been so afraid we had lost it!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Tineke, such excellent news ... a worrying moment; then relief at the safe return to the nest. So all is well, & you can have a break knowing at least that the little guy can withstand high winds & get back to safety! Let's hope he/she stays out of trouble while it grows stronger & wiser...[?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the heron likes frogs in his diet too!

    ReplyDelete