Friday 27 September 2013

Knit-Weaving and the Tawny Frogmouth Chick.

We will start with the baby Tawny Frogmouth. On the left is the photo I took a week ago and under neath is the Photo I took yesterday, so it has grown a lot and there must be plenty of food around for the parents to feed it. There are a lot of moths in the evenings now on our windows and that is part of their food supply. I keep thinking there could be two chicks but it is hard to see as tree limbs are in the way and the old bird sits high up on the nest now.
The Murray Magpies in the next tree are giving their chicks the piercing warning call when they see me under the washing line so I cannot see them in the nest at all as it is too high and the chicks still small enough to hide. The Willy Wagtail goes his own sweet way and doesn't seem to be worried about anything but the big Magpies. The Magpie young have fledged and are hanging around the front gate which is dangerous as they seem to fly across the road when I come along the track.
I'll try and add the knit -weaving photos now.
 How amazing!! It worked! Before these photos were placed above the Frogmouth photos and I couldn't comment there so removed them and wrote up about the birds first.....Then found the photos still in the uploading and inserting page and Bingo! they got here when I clicked the right button.....
The top I knit-wove with three threads of fine cotton and cashmillon as background yarn and a ribbon yarn for the weaving yarn. I am finding this pattern too big for summer garments so have

reduced the pattern size and knit-woven the smaller top but with a round neck . The collar I added by picking up the stitch one at a time and then knit-weaving two rows and short rowing four rows to get the curve into the collar. It has worked very well and all I want to do now is add a plain strip under the collar to make it sit up more.One of my knitting friends suggested this and that makes sense. Don't forget to click on the photo if you want a closer look.
Another machine knitting friend gave me more weaving -in yarns today, lovely linen and viscose....lots of summer tops coming up?! The scarf is knitted with three fine yarns of different colours with needles out of work and every middle needle of the five needles in work brought forward for six rows then cancelling those needles and knitting two over all needles.
Have fun, won't you..........

No comments:

Post a Comment