Wednesday 27 March 2013

Sayings of old

Tonight while enjoying our evening drink on the verandah on a perfect evening full of light and shade, we started wondering about all the sayings we learned over the years....tough as goats knees...rare as hens teeth...lamentation of crows....thick as a brick....
we thought we could invent some of our own. So we came up with "a bounding of kangaroos"....
"as fidgety as a willy wagtail"..."as prickly as an oxtail thistle" ..."a crepuscular crescendo of corellas"..." as spiky as a caltrop"  we could have gone on.....please add some of your own here, remember to press the publish button though!
Earlier in the afternoon my neighbour, who was also my cello teacher, took me to a house in the Aldinga Echo Village to hear a wind quintet play Beethoven and Poulenc. The house has a specially built performance space which was so elegant. We all sat down in the sunken living space and were transported by the lovely music being played by an oboe, horn, bassoon and clarinet accompanied by the piano. I love live music as it has those little human touches you never get from a perfect CD. It was a private fundraiser for a group in Willunga who assist refugees in settling in this country.
It was just a special afternoon.
Tuesday 26th March.
Yesterday my present cello teacher accompanied me on the piano while I played De Fesch 's first movement.I seem to be getting better at counting and so staying in the right place and not either racing ahead or lagging behind.It would have been so good to have learned all this when I was a child, but I am fortunate to be learning it now.
Wednesday 27th March
It is raining this morning, nice and gently but steadily and at times quite heavily.I hope it will put water in our tanks and also fill the pond up. Our gardening man who was here yesterday and has put in the watering system for the new rose garden, and I were pondering on our pond and why the plants just haven't thrived. The water lilies hardly grew yet once upon a time they took over the whole pond. It came to me last night that it could be the Holm oak acorns that fall in the water and rot there. Perhaps it is the tannin in them that inhibits the growth of everything bar the algy of course!!
My music friends arrived about 11am and after a coffee we played our usual repertoire and did remarkably well seeing as we hadn't played together for several weeks.
Late afternoon I went and picked up my friend from Pt Willunga and we drove to Adelaide to hear Natsuko Yoshimoto play Vivaldi Four Seasons with a twist.We had allowed plenty of time to get into Adelaide as there seem to be so many road works now. The Adelaide Town Hall is a great venue for music and the organ looks so impressive always and sets the mood, I find. We had excellent seats in the Gallery so we were able to see the orchestra without having to peer around people in front of you.
The music was fabulous and the Four Seasons was interspersed with the dance music of Piazzolla's tango-inspired Four Seasons of Buenos Aires which was very different and at times puzzling.
The musicians got a standing ovation especially Natsuko.
We drove home via the express way at 60kph......roll on the finish of the railway line as that will be so easy then to take the train from Noarlunga, that won't be till September or there abouts worse luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment