Friday 15 March 2013

Knit weaving with tactile yarns

 Knit-weaving on my Brother 860 with my knitleader,using fancy or handspun yarn, is a real passion of mine. Now that the cooler weather has arrived I will start getting my yarns out and have them where I can display them, re-organise them and generally play around with the colours till something pleases me . Then of course the work of swatching starts and various patterns tried out and colour combinations, washing the swatches to make sure they don't shrink unevenly as the base yarn may shrink at a different rate to the weaving-in yarn. Or that the colours may bleed or that the end result is not appealing after all and the process will start again.
On the left is a red wool base yarn with an acrylic fancy yarn woven in ,some one gave me because they were unable to find a combination that pleased them. I used a 1by1 card but I wove the yarn every 3rd row as it was quite bulky.
On the right are three of the mannequins I dressed in some of the swatches I did a couple of years ago. I used recycled jewelry to embellish them. The one of the left is knit-woven in a sequence of ten every-second row and then ten tuckstitch. In the middle is a fairisle in black and white boucle acrylic, the pattern is in the 970 book of patterns, which is upside down in the book so it needs to be turned around. On the far right is a woven-in boucle yarn and again, interspersed with rows of tuck stitch.

The jacket on the left is again done with the 1by1 card but woven every 4th and 5th row.It is a lovely soft wool background yarn with a 12ply Alpaca weavin-in yarn. The scarf is loom woven in India of an acrylic yarn. I do knit scarves of cotton/ wool mix on the single bed and have needles out of action and select middle needles to tuck for 4 rows alternating with stocking stitch and 4 rows of alternate needles selected. Done on a large tension they work out to a soft, manipulative piece of fabric.
Today I saw some lovely knitteds done by members of the Passap group. The ability of the Passap machine to tuck over a lot of rows is quite remarkable.
Who knows, perhaps I'll do some weaving again soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment