Tuesday 12 April 2022

Meeting the new Girls


Let me introduce Betty, Maud, Esme and Henny-Penny,... the latest guests to stay in Tineke's Chook yard. They are free range Hy-line hens, cast-for-age at eighteen months....I picked them up late yesterday afternoon from a place not far from here but along an amazing road , high in the hills south of Willunga. I will want to explore those roads now through those steep hills as the views are amazing.The little female family has settled in already and produced two eggs for my breakfast....They are wonderful calm birds and it is a joy to have them..
The photo on the right shows the empty cocoon of a large moth and I will endeavour to look up what it is called. There are a lot of them this year and it amazes me how something so soft can wriggle itself out of the heavy, hard clay... we have had very little rain to make it easy for them...perhaps they are a metaphor for us when we live in such interesting times.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tineke
    Are these cuckoo still from “Cicadas” - I thought they were from those large crickets that make all that noise at night and hatch at night from the soil in the summer - but I could be terribly wrong. Please do your research and let me know, I love learning and would be really interested in knowing what comes out of these cocoons.
    Gina xx 😘

    ReplyDelete