Sunday 15 December 2019

Frog Bog as an extention of our Pond

Since our pond was cleaned out, I have become increasingly interested in water plants and bog plants. There are quite a number of water lilies still sitting in an old bath under the Pepper tree waiting for me to tidy up and re-pot.
Next to that bath was another sitting there doing nothing and when our friend came to work in our garden on Friday I wondered aloud if that could not make a frog bog.....Bless him," of course," he said," that can be done" and set to to make it so...
After a while it became a bit hot so he put up the sun shade and went to it with gusto.
He had to cut through some pretty tough Holm Oak roots but in the end the hole was there and he could fit the bath into it.
Some one at some stage had cemented the drain hole shut but he was able to get it loose enough for it to give a little drainage as we didn't want the water to rush out.
We had to get some coarse gravel and on top of that he put some shade cloth we had lying around
(wonderful to be recycling all this stuff) and on top of that came the soil dug out of the hole.


We are on clay soil which is ideal for a bog garden and also to pot-on the waterlilies as they like to be solidly anchored.
I did get some plants for the pond as it has been suggested I don't use the pump and water feature anymore because that only spreads the algae and disturbs the water lilies which like a quiet life evidently....
I don't want a filter either as I would be cleaning that every other day.
We also found a hollow log and some more rocks
and as you can see now that it is filled with soil, I can start planting things in there.  Someone has given me a Lobelia sort of plant and I wonder if that would go in there as it is a bog plant but it looks very delicate with dainty blue flowers.
We have two frogs at present, my bedroom is near the pond so I hear them plonking away during the night and hope they will breed up too, as the murderous white faced Heron has played havoc with both the gold fish and the frogs....
Do click on thephotos to get a better view....

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, perhaps you might pop in sometime and have a look at the pond and surrounds?

      Delete
  2. How lovely to be able to remodel the pond. And to have so willing a worker! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how lucky we are to have an equally creative spirit in the garden who understands the way one's mind works and does all the work with great aplomb....

      Delete
  3. That looks wonderful Tineke, how industrious and creative you are. Now you will start hearing Kermit playing all night....lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Ginac, I am so looking forward to having a chorus of Kermits...and I wouldn't mind an audience of Miss Piggies as well, all pink and beautiful...

    ReplyDelete