Monday 24 October 2016

Unusual Flowers in Spring at Willunga


 It was  lovely day today and to see the flowers now, after such a long and drawn out,wet spring
gave the urge to get out the camera and shoot away....
I think the water lilies have escaped their pots and consequently they are thriving with big leaves and stunning flowers. The goldfish are in droves too even though I found one of the big parent fish floating dead in the pond.I fished it out and buried it near a plant....
The bearded iris on the right is a tanny brown colour with a golden throat. It was given to me 30 years ago when I moved into my cottage at Watervale  by a friend from Tasmania. I have never seen another one of that colour. It is also inclined to flower in March as well as in October.I nearly lost it when the water restrictions came in but I managed to save it and will propagate it from now on.
The long wet spell we have had has encouraged a host of insects to breed up in large numbers.
Especially the earwigs which are such sneaky creatures as they eat voraciously at night when no one is watching and you find your plants full of holes and the roses damaged with the little buggers right inside the base of the bloom.
The next thing will be the caterpillars hatching after the lovely butterflies have laid their eggs on just about everything as well.....
Can you spot Mrs Tawney in our pepper tree?
She has been sitting on the same branch each morning for the past three weeks, so I greet her with "Good Morning Mrs Tawney" as I open the gate to go in and feed the chooks which is right there alongside the pepper tree. Mr Tawney is sitting on the nest in the Ash tree a few yards away and I noticed today his little chick is starting to poke its head out from under his Dad's chest.It is written in the bird books that the male sits on the nest, you wonder how someone found out that little fact......

6 comments:

  1. Just checking to see if this site registers as easily as the other"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos. What make is your camera? Do you choose the settings manually or is it set on auto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera is a Nikon D80 and I usually have it on either portrait or flower setting and then adjust the focal length myself and zoom in or out....

      Delete
  3. No, it still comes to me in the form of an e mail and then I click to publish it. In my art blog they are published straight away and I don't know why.
    Thank you for your comments though, it is lovely to know people are interested to the extent they do comment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Tawney is almost invisible. well done

    Hugs for another beautiful post
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Hannah, Mr Tawney has hatched one chick that I can see in the Ash tree they are such Zen birds, I love their totally calm outlook on life...

    ReplyDelete